My 2013 Beauty Regrets


I've had a long list of 2013 Favorites and a few Surprises. While on a treasure hunt, you might strike gold... or could stand the danger of stepping on a landmine. Without further ado, let me introduce you the disappointments of 2013 - Products that were underwhelming or plain ol' BAD.

All the mentioned products, I've not tossed them away, but have either used till they're empty or found an alternative use for them. Here you go, ladies:



Merle Normal Delicate Balance Cleanser & Toner for Sensitive Skin: I have had a love-hate relationship with this duo. While I received and used a sample of these products, it showed good results and I paid the hefty price tag to have the full-size items. My beef with these - since the toner is meant for SENSITIVE skin, why should it sting when applied. Nothing alarming though. A tingle here and there - which shouldn't be the case. Cleanser wasn't that bad. It did purge the skin of residue, but now that I've tried other products that do a better job at a cheaper price - I'm not too keen. Have finished these, and would never repurchase.

The Body Shop Chocomania Body Butter: While the smell of chocolate is heavenly, too much or too strong a scent makes me nauseous. It does a good job of hydrating my body, but on the flip side, it makes me smell like a Walking DEATH BY CHOCOLATE. Twice it had happened that I applied the Chocomania Body Butter and went to see my friends - who asked if I had been baking muffins or brought some truffles because I have this lingering chocolate fragrance around me :-/ Hang on, that's not the worst part - THIS BODY BUTTER IS EXTREMELY BITTER IN TASTE! It could be my particular piece, I don't know. But it IS bitter. In my defense, I didn't actually give in to the tempting scent. I didn't try to lick/eat it. No. Every time I'd apply it, and do anything at all that's bound to bring my hands in contact with the face - later on, my lips would taste bitter. I've tried washing my hands after I use it, but that's just too much to ask for a product that I don't even love in the first place. So, I've given it to my Mum and Aunt for using on their feet in Winters after which they're requested to wear socks :-D I've had none of these issues with Moringa and Shea Body Butters.

The Body Shop Tea Tree Pore Minimiser: It's a strong smelling tea tree product with consistency similar to Porefessional. However, this does not have silicone/slippery feel to it. I've realized that it's more of a skin care product than a makeup one. Almost everything I put on followed by another layer - be it primer, foundation, BB cream or even a moisturizer - this balls up like little rubber waste while you're trying to blend. I waited for it to dry and tried million things, so eventually, I only use it in Summers when I am not putting ANYTHING else on the face. Even then, it's not moisturizing at all and keeps shine away for 2 hours max. Not repurchasing after finishing this.

Garnier Light Eye Roll-On: It sucks. Expecting it to work or improve anyting is like planting your coins in the soil and waiting for money to grow. It was an impulse-purchase-gone-wrong. There's nothing to explain in this - it was THAT disappointing. Next.

Benefit Some-Kinda-Gorgeous Foundation Faker: It's a compact with cream-liker formula which turns into powdery finish when applied to the face. The shade medium came in Primping With The Stars kit, and it has been - by far - the WORST Benefit product I've tried till date. It applies patchy without primer & moisturizer underneath and when worn with the two helpers, it still creases and doesn't last beyond 2 hours. Not-to-mention, you'd end up looking like a ghost in cell phone flash photography.

Essence Gel-Look Top Coat: I'm not a nail polish person, but can tell that this particular Essence top coat is not what I'd like to put on or recommend to someone. With few tries, I didn't have much luck. It applies smooth, but just doesn't dry soon enough. I've put it on in the thinnest layer as well, thinking too much product might be the problem, but even an hour of applying nail polish  + top coat, it'll be sticky-denty-chippy. I've given up.

Garnier BB Cream (Oil Free - Fair): I've been on a hunt to get this baby even before they'd launched it in Pakistan. It would always be out of stock at justforgirls.pk and I'd skip it. I stumbled upon the launch of Garnier BB Cream in Hyperstar, Karachi and bagged this. It applied patchy on my skin, somewhat ashy. I used it over my Mum's face who is NC15 - thinking it would be a color-match for her. Still, after 2 hours, it looked like someone has taken a big underwater jump and their makeup is coming off. I don't know why it worked like this, because all I've heard about this cream is the gushing praise. 

Maybelline Colossal Kajal: This has to be the biggest disappointment of 2013. So, I got the Kajal before its official launch, used it - The staying power was okay, but it was so dry and tugged on my eyelids while I tried to apply. The kajal broke off its base and fell out. Plus, nobody wants their blackest black to be GREY. Then my friend, Fatima, got it from its launch in Dolmen and I thought may be my piece was old/defected/fake. I tried hers for a couple of weeks - the same issues, except for breaking. Dry. Unhelpful. Non-black black.

So, I've purged myself of the 2013 Beauty Regrets :-P And I welcome 2014 with open arms <3

To have a peek at my 2013 Favorites and 2013 Surprises in beauty, follow the links. If you've done the Favorites/Disappointments posts, I'd love to read them. Feel free to drop your links in the comments :-)

Cheers,

Bia




40 comments:

  1. Ewww.. i wsn't expecting this body butter to taste bitte...u r ryt about the colossal kajal too....Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a disappointment when products arent good :(
    www.ilovly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yeah :(
      Any particular regrets of yours for 2013? :)

      Delete
    2. Might be :p
      Visit mine!

      Delete
  3. I too hated garnier roll on eye cream. it was too hyped in my opinion though I'm absolutely shocked to see colossalkajal in the list. It has to be the most jet black kohl I've ever used :/

    Loves
    HBM<3
    http://heartbowsmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisha, I've read all about Colossal Kajal being awesome in many Indian blogs before I was able to lay my hands on it. Then I thought may be I was conned with the first one I got. But then again the second one turned out to be the same.

      Delete
    2. The Indian version of the Colossal Kajal is beyond awesome. For the price, it is super black and stays on for around 6 hours. I wear it to college and it is totally smudge proof. However when I finished with my first pencil, I went out and re-purchased but got the Pakistani version instead. There is no comparison. The Pakistani version sucks beyond belief. It is dry, not very black, doesn't glide smoothly and smudges after the third hour or so.
      Anyone who complains about the Colossal Kajal, I suggest them to try the Indian version instead. Check the back of the pack for "Made in India" caption. It is the Indian version that is so famous, not the local one.

      Delete
  4. Love your posts! You gave me some good ideas for mine! I absolutely hate the Garnier BB Cream! Iti is definitely going to be on my ''worst items ever'' list! Xaxaxa! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3<3 Thanks for the love, Maria! I'm looking forward to your post, dear!

      Delete
  5. I can see a few of my favorites in the list so I read the points very carefully.As for the colossal kajal I think you got a counterfeit both times.Yes,your friend might have too as these things are flooding the market.My sister spotted real n fake at same store with a few differences which were barely visible but tell tale.I am mentioning this because colossal kajal is the blackest eyeliner i have and really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've read the comparison post about real and fake Colossal by Maybelline's fan page as well. While mine could be fake, the second one my friend and I bought together from MAYBELLINE Colossal launch event at Dolmen, Clifton. I highly doubt that the official launch would have a counterfeit. It's possible that both pieces might not be the best of the bunch - quality control issues, perhaps. I've experienced the same by Garnier Oil Free BB :-(

      Delete
  6. im so glad I dint pick up the tbs tea tree pore minimizer even though i was really tempted. Colossal was working for me especially in the intense black department but the faulty packaging put me off bigtime!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheharzad was also telling how Colossal is intense black for her, this is intriguing me to may be get it the third time :P

      Delete
  7. wow nice products i recently got this kajal i dont know mine is fake or real but with same packaging

    http://anoodmaliksblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anood, do a Google image search about the difference between Fake and Real Maybelline kajal. It will show you minor visible differences in the two.
      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Really helpful post :D
    Thank god I didn't buyed these products :)
    Annmakeupblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh its such a bad feeling when u busy something with high hopes and get zero response, very helpful for saving money :)

    http://fakhrarafique.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/clear-makeup-jewellery-organizer-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. aaagh u refreshed my disappointed moments :P nice post ^_^
    imanailart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. its a shame you didn't like garnier bb cream. I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the imported version and the officially launched one of the regular Garnier BB.
      This one didn't work on me, but my cousin is using it well. :(

      Delete
  12. Always disappointing when a product doesn't turn out how you expect! Can't say I was all that impressed with the Garnier BB Cream myself :( x

    Sarah @ sarahlouxo.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Tell me about it!
      Garnier products are absolute hit-miss items for me. Sadly, this one didn't click.

      Delete
  13. i vl stay away from these products! thanks or sharing! But i love garnier bb cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was your experience with Maybelline Kajal? Every PK and IND blogger is raving about it. I wonder why my TWO attempts were a fail.

      You're welcome! And I wanted the cream to work out for me too. The oil-free didnt :(

      Delete
  14. I'm amazed to see Maybelline's Colossal Kajal in the list.I love that eyeliner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably my luck with the liner hasn't been so well :(

      Delete
  15. LOL at your experience with the Chocomania body butter, I remember testing it out in store but the scent is way too sweet for me, it's total overkill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Really, if it's anything, it's an OVERKILL :P I'd rather not be a walking muffin, thank you very much :D

      Delete
  16. Two of my favourite items of the last year made into this list. Maybelline Colossal Kajal and the Garnier BB Cream. Sad :(
    Are you extremely warm toned Bia? Like the yellow in your skin is visible to the naked eye?
    If that is the case, then that is the reason the Garnier BB Cream doesn't work for you. It has a neutral undertone.
    Me and my sister are approx the same shade but she is way more warm toned than me; so the BB cream looks ashy on her while it looks like skin on me.
    As for the Colossal Issue, get the Indian one. Trust me, there is no comparison. You and your friend both got the Pakistani version. Just give the Indian version a try, you won't be disappointed.
    And keep up the good work!

    P.S. Sorry for sounding like a sales representative for the Colossal Kajal. It's just that I love it so much that it hurts to see people bashing it :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Haha, I've seen everyone include Maybelline Colossal in their favorites! So, this signals that I should buy another one. Actually before their official launch in Pakistan, the Indian make was available in the market. That, along with the fakes... so, it's hard to find one that's an Indian make now :-( May be if someone I know visits India, I'd definitely ask them to grab one for me ^_^ That, along with Sabyasachi dresses :-P Oh - and Lakme goodies as well!
      And haha! No worries about that! I actually like that people should be the brand ambassadors of products they love! <3

      Delete
    2. P.S. Where did you get your Indian version from?

      Delete
    3. I don't know what city you are from (sorry if you mentioned it in any post of yours, my bad then) but the Anarkali Market in Interior Lahore carries alot of Indian brands, Lakme included. However there are also alot of fakes there so you have to keep your eyes open. So whenever I visit Lahore I stock up on alot of Indian goodies in bulk :p The stuff is smuggled, just so you know. It's illegal but well yeah *shrugs*.

      P.S. Hahahaha. Some of the work of certain Indian designers is to die for e.g. Anamika Khanna on Sonam Kapoor. Drool Worthy! But that's another story altogether. *sigh*

      Delete
    4. I'm currently based in Lahore. Will check Anarkali out. You're right, the fakes are floating in such markets - now, even in posh ones. If you know any particular shop, do tell me, I'll check it out :) Because otherwise every shopkeeper swears by their whole families that the stuff is REAL, even when it's a 100 rupee MAC 'asli' :P

      Certain pieces of Ritu Kumar take my breath away, but I'm a die-hard Sabyasachi Mukherjee fan ^_^ *sigh*

      Delete
  17. i got the tea tree minimizer sample to try but didn't liked it enough to buy!
    garnier bb cream didn't work for me in summers due to my oily skin, but it fares quite well for me in winters mixed with a little moisturizer when i need minimum coverage, a slight boost to clear skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The regular version of Garnier BB cream did work for me as well, but the oil free one was a disaster :(

      Delete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...