Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters


The Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters revolutionized the whole "balm" game. I came across these in late 2012 and swatched them in Farid's, Dolmen Clifton and thought - WOW, this is BAD :-D Really. The salesgirl pitched these to me as MATTE LIPSTICK. And I was a makeup novice, so I thought, they suck at being pigmented and matte. Fast forwarding through the Dark Ages to the Renaissance of makeup knowledge, I want these in my life and wanted them bad :-) So, did it pay off...?


Yes, BIG TIME!

I can't keep a calm exterior when it comes to Revlon's Colorburst Lip Butters. I'm gushing with nothing, but praise. This is going to be a rave review. Heads up!



These come in a sturdy plastic packaging which snaps shut quite firmly. Great to carry in your bag without the danger of smearing anything on your stuff. With Shrek-sized fingers, I initially had some issue opening the tube for my first swatch. However, that was temporary (and my own fault). I love how their caps are kind of color-coded. That makes it easier to spot your pick from the makeup stash.

Pigmentation is one of the primary concerns for me. Even the high-end lip products that lack pigmentation are a turnoff for me. The second most important thing for me is longevity. I rarely reapply the lipstick (that's why balm stains have been my best friends). Comfort, packaging, finish, etc. follow the checklist after these two. So, I looked through the dozens of lip and arm swatches on different skins & lighting to see which shade from these lip butters should I seek first. Raspberry Pie was different from the pinks, browns, and reds I had in my collection and it looked super pigmented. I laid hands on it and this was the love at first swatch. I gave this few more swipes to build the color, and MAN, it was GORGEOUS. I loved how glossy and light my lips felt, without the gooey-ness of the gloss or some lip topper.

Lollipop was the second shade I got - which I mistook for being Sweet Tart :-/ I was a little put down by the fact that it "looked" almost the same as the Raspberry Pie on my lips. But when I built the color up, this was brighter blue toned fuschia. There was my salvation. Candy Apple and Peach Parfait were the next buys, followed recently by Tutti Fruitti.

Let's have a look at individual swatches, followed by a combined review - I vow to keep this shorter :-P Please forgive the blurry pixelated swatches. There was a whole lot of technical and human glitches :-D I'm just learning to take better photographs :-)








Raspberry Pie - A dark berry pink
Lollipop - A bright fuschia pink with blue undertones
Peach Parfait - A rosy peach with fine golden glitter
Tutti Fruitti - A sheer light orange with yellow undertones
Candy Apple - A sheer orange-red with a hint of rose

As you can see, all the colors are gorgeously moisturizing. They can't replace a full-blown "lip balm" (like Nivea, Neutrogena, etc focused towards the lip care), but you won't need a separate lip balm underneath these. The first swipe of all colors has been sheerer than their multiple swipes, so you can wear it according to the intensity you like. On my lips, Raspberry Pie, Peach Parfait and Lollipop achieve almost-opaque-like finish with multiple swipes. The other two - Tutti Fruitti and Cherry Tart - are on the sheerer side when it comes to my pigmented lips. I don't mind that though. Personally, I do prefer Tutti Fruitti giving a soft peachy orange look instead of looking Fanta-Orange :-) That might clash with my skin tone. I'm a reds fan, but sheer reds - hmmm.. not my favorites. That's why Cherry Tart was the neglected one among these (and now it has been given a new home through a Blog Sale). Again, that's just a matter of personal preference.

In terms of lasting powers, all except Tutti Fruitti remain good 3-4 hours without fading. A reason for this could be that I never applied Tutti Fruitti with its full throttle multiple swipes. Like most creamy moisturizing lip products, these cannot survive meals. Nonetheless, they fade from the middle and can be reapplied easily afterwards. Such impromptu layering does not mess up the previously-applied/remaining lip butter and blends smoothly - thumbs up!

Since they're creamy, I expected them to run a little down the lips without liner in Summers. They haven't caused such problem so far when I wore them last Summers. I have yet to wear them under the Sun for extended period in extreme heat, but till now, they have survived my 1-hour extreme gym sweating sessions. 

P.S. Yes, I wear lipstick to the gym, 7 in the morning. I do everything and anything that would convince me to leave my snuggly bed and go knock myself out with "activities" :-D FYI, I'm Garfield-lazy.

When I think of lip butters, it's usually the nighttime lip treatment or some casual layering for dry lips. These babies, however, are for every age and occasion. I wore Peach Parfait on my Engagement dinner. No lip liner, nothing. Just plain ol' Revlon Peach Parfait. It photographed nice and subtle, but gave nice peachy color throughout. 70% of it also survived the open-air dinner we had and 40-50% remained till the late night back-home selfie-session I did. :-D These have been a part of office events, dailywear, shopping trips, and whatnots! My next picks would be Sorbet, Macaroon, Berry Smoothie (which my friend promised to give me from a trio her sister gifted to her. Waiting.), and Sweet Tart.

In the excitement of writing about these, I hope I'm not skipping any essential details... Am I?
No...?
Time for the verdict then:


These are available through Revlon counters in Lahore, Karachi, and Islamabad for around Rs. 1,175/-. You can check your desired shades via www.just4girls.pk and www.beautyarena.pk. Since many shades go out of stock, you can find better prices and shades if you pre-order via Facebook pages.

Have you used the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters yet? Which one(s) is/are your favorite? Let me know your thoughts on the comments below!

Cheers,

Bia

42 comments:

  1. peach parfait is like my staple, summers or winters but i dont like how soft and goo-ish they get in the heat!
    gym at 7 in the morning?? do I sense some pre-wedding weight-loss procrastination there haha :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they melt? If I leave a chapstick in car, it almost melts. Once I left my Revlon lip butter in the pocket behind the front seat and after two days, it was perfectly alright. The rest of them "rest" in the makeup drawers in my washroom - without fan/cooling. They've been faring well so far :D Among these, I think Peach Parfait has the most tendency to go gooey.
      Haha! You caught me! If you call strolling on treadmill while watching Billo Thumka Laga on gym tv - exercise :P

      Delete
  2. OMGGG! Gorgeous swatches!! I think I must have Lollipop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lollipop is gorgeous! Although the swatches are taken under flash, so the x-factor might be overstated in the pictures. :D

      Delete
  3. Almost every second person I know rave about these & for some unknown reasons, I have this fear that since they are lip butter they will MELT during the summers of Pakistan! Super weird I know, probably I'll get one someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't melt like other lip butters. Afterall, they have such pigmentation. Do check out the melting reference I explain for Rakhshan in comments above :D

      Delete
  4. love love love the swatches .. now m tempted ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sana! Which one is your favorite? :)

      Delete
  5. great review. i have me eyes on peach parfait, but does it go with medium skin tone? not white jus fair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support, Anum! Peach Parfait is lovely. Yes, it flatters all skin tones. With heavier eye makeup, this can substitute as a nude-y peach as well :)

      Delete
  6. lovely swatches.I just love the creaminess with the gloss.My favorite was berry smoothie and i love it sooooo much.As for summer performance,it does stay put.NOt the longest time on the block but they do stay for a decent time. great review .awesome photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swatched Berry Smoothie as the tester on the counter, but they didn't have the fresh piece in that. I love that too! Yes, even if these are not the most longlasting, they pack the pigment punch with moisture & I'm a fan! Thank you so so so much, Shehrzad! <3

      Delete
  7. wow nice swatches :) now i want this in shade lollipop :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lollipop is really flattering on the lips! You'd love it <3

      Delete
  8. Love this review, swatches and U <3 e-kisses e-hugs and much love
    I own Sorbet and it has been my all time favourite this Winters... I wont be using it in Summers at all.
    and you made me laugh hard on that "dark ages" lolz yes those dark ages when sales girls could fool us but with all this knowledge I guess they budge us more :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have Sorbet next :-) Somehow I prefer warm toned pinks ^_^
      LOL, yes I used to be very jhalli when it came to the makeup a year or two ago.
      Thank you, Huda <3 e-kisses and hugs right back at you

      Delete
  9. I was once so much in love with Revlon lip butters. But didn't like how short styaing power these have. so I left them and went back to Revlon lipstain :P lovely swatches hun <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything compared to Revlon's lip balm stains would definitely seem tarnished! They're the gold standard :-D
      Thank you so much, Sarah !! <3

      Delete
  10. Love your swatches..... I have this in tutti frutti and I love love love that.. Thinking to get cherry tart too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... Tutti Fruitti is the summer color for 2013-2014. So flattering :-)

      Delete
  11. loved the review but i dont wear that often and dont find it convinent to buy such expensive make up when i wont be using it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Fatemah! <3
      If you like lip balms in general, these would still be a good investment. They're sheer as per the liking :-)

      Delete
  12. thanks to lovely fellow bloggers who tempted me so much now i own juicy papaya and i got it in ahh-mazing price of Rs.825....in sale ..lolz...lovely detailed review and nice photography honey~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OmG! I wanna see how it swatches against out skin tone!! Have you reviewed?
      And yayy... sales are awesome. Official launches are always expensive and never have any discount -_-
      Thanks, lovely lady! Xoxo

      Delete
  13. I have one in tutti fruiti and would love to have more. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kiran... they're really good! Tutti fruitti is awesome!

      Delete
  14. have my eyes on peach parfait but its seems too shimmery :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hira! Peach Parfait is perfect peachy brown-ish for our skin shade. It's not shimmery when applied on lips. Noticeable chunky glitter are due to my photography glitches :)

      Delete
  15. I love revlon lip butters have few of these and totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with tutti fruitti and peach parfait......I want them now....:/ I have added them on my list....xoxoxo...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love such colors, Berry Smoothie is going to be excellent too! :)

      Delete
  17. i have tutti frutti and i love it!
    http://thewhimsywoman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is gorgeous color for every skin tone! Love it!

      Delete
  18. i am eying on peach parfait.. between dont forget to check my fb page beautiblingz guyz there is a poll going on ...ur vote or comment will be appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Farah! You'd like it :)
      I'd definitely check it out now <3

      Delete
  19. I have all of those plus a few more!! My favorite is Tutti Fruiti! But my Tutti Fruti didn't come out sheer the first time, or it might just be that I don't realize that swipe my lips multiple times.

    xoxo Alley
    http://classygirlschic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably then my product wasn't warmed up enough :D I just got Berry Smoothie after this review!

      Delete
  20. I never realised how intense Lollipop swatches, might have to go check it out lol.
    My current favourite is Juicy Papaya, though Tutti Frutti is well loved too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juicy Papaya isn't locally available, but I'd love to swatch it :-)
      Lollipop is intense, but under my lighting and flash it has become more so... :D

      Delete
  21. Tutti fruti is my fav among all.

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...